I am very excited to be sharing my very first Adventures with Chi video and article. Even better is that I get to start with one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life, Gorilla Trekking in Rwanda.
I travelled to Rwanda courtesy Radisson Hotels Kigali and I wrote about my first day in Kigali here. If you’d rather read, I wrote about the gorilla trekking experience here as well. We trekked with the Hirwa family at the Volcanoes National Park. The park accommodates five of the eight volcanoes of the Virunga Mountains. It is also home to the rare and endangered mountain gorillas, golden monkeys and Diana Fossey’s grave.
Our trek started with a briefing by park guides Bernice and Francis. Currently, the park is home to 10 gorilla groups and we were slated to see the Hirwa (‘the lucky one’ in English) family. The Hirwa group has 17 members including two silverbacks.
Little details about the trip from Kigali
- Moving from Kigali to the Northern region of Rwanda to the Volcanoes National Park in Musanze takes about two hours.
- The road is curvy. If you have motion sickness, you should be prepared for this.
- For this adventure, I advise you pack light and smart.
- Wear a long t-shirt, sweaters, sweatpants, socks and hiking boots.
- Carry a knapsack, a water bottle, and a power bank.
- I had to rent a raincoat and a pair of hiking boots at the base camp of the park.Carry some extra cash so you can buy souvenirs at the park
That being said, who is ready to go on an adventure with Chi? Watch the full video here.
I also got a certificate of participation.
Until my next adventure, stay gracious!